Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Salsa up the rice!

It’s been a long time away (the long should read loooooong with at least 50 Os). All due to the fact that I had some preconceived notions about what my next few posts should be or what kind of pictures I wanted to go with my posts, and I kept imagining shoots that I could not have accomplished in my home kitchen. As you can see, none of it happened. Well, today it ends. Ends with a simple yet very tasty dish (eight people in office cannot lie at the same time!) And yes, let alone ‘awesome’ pictures, I do not have any pictures to go with this post!
As usual, one day, I was toying with the idea of providing a great end to a bowl of some leftover rice in the refrigerator… I was thinking something new, and yes, masaaledar. My eyes fell on the bottle of salsa sauce resting on some inner corner of my refrigerator ever since I bought it, mistaking it for pizza sauce (ok ok, in my own haste, didn’t check the bottle before purchasing it.) The idea was quick to hit. The process simple, and fast, the result, delicious. Try it for yourself.

Ingredients
Leftover cold rice – as much as you have (or want to try out!)
Spring onions/ scallions (including white or green) – 1 for every 2 cups of rice
Tomatoes – ½ for every 2 cups of rice
Green capsicum (bell pepper) – ½ for every 2 cups of rice
Coriander (cilantro) – a few springs
Salsa from a bottle – 3 tablespoons for every two cups, or more, to your taste
Salt – to taste
Garlic paste, sauce, or in any form – ½ teaspoon or to your taste
Oil – 1 tsp

Method:
  1. Chop all your veggies finely, including the coriander.
  2. Heat the oil in a pan or wok. Once hot, add the garlic, onions and capsicum.
  3. Stir for about two minutes or so and add the tomatoes.
  4. After two more minutes, add the rice and mix.
  5. Add the salsa, mix to a very slight liquidy consistency and taste for salt. Add as much as you need.
  6. Add some of the coriander and mix it for taste and use some as garnish.
  7. Wait no more, just dig in!

Notes:

  • As usual measurements are indicative; you can use them to your taste.
  • You can use plain onions if you do not have spring onions.
  • If you want it slightly spicy, you can add red chilli powder to your taste while stirring the onions.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shraddha, nice blog I had already read a few recipes from it earlier. Cheers and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete